I'd like you to ...

Accents

Hi there, your tool looks good after a brief examination, but I notice that (for Spanish at least) the words don't show any accented letters! For example: "el rehén" just comes up as "el rehen"; "régulo" as "regulo". This is crucial information that should be part of the learning process for Spanish. Why haven't you included it? Are you going to? It would be a deciding factor in whether or not I would want to use the tool.

Many thanks!
Sam

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Sam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminMartin Ruskov (Product Manager, Lexicum) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your feedback. You are right, accents are very important in Spanish, French, Italian and a number of other languages. In Lexicum they come from the dictionary sources that we use.

The way Lexicum currently works is that it saves words as you search them. If you search for a word in a particular gender or in a particular tense, you will add it to your vocab book in the same form. Similarly, if you search for a word without typing the accent, you will get translations without the accent (which could lead to ambiguity). However, if you search for the word with its accent, you will be able to save the accent.

Same happens when you search for a word in the your own language (for the sake of the example, let's say English). Then you will get Spanish translations with accents, and you can choose the exact translations you want to add to your own vocab list.

I hope this helps and please keep sharing with us any behavious that is different from what you expect.

Warm wishes,
    The Lexicum team

Feedback and Knowledge Base