I'd like you to ...

Glossary

Good evening Infidels :),

If you allow me to make just a couple of observations.
Since each and every foreign language learner tries to compare his/her mother language (L1) with the language of acquisition (L2), semantically and structurally, he or she eventually falls into the trap of attempting to transfer every construction into his own language. From psychological prospective a learner will have the tendency to avoid a structure which is not familiar to him/her, which is perfectly normal. But this approach can also have a harmful effect on the language learning process. Often, there is neither equivalence nor Tertium Comparationis (comparability) between terms. For example if we compare BG and EN syntax in these two sentences, we will immediately observe, that the congruence is not complete:

John is always late S(ubject)V(erb)A(dverbial)A(dverb)

Джон винаги закъснява S(ubject) A(dverbial)V(erb)

What I am trying to say is that the sentences differ in structure on practically every level – morphological, syntactical, phonetic, et cetera, et cetera.
Wouldn’t it be better for Lexicum to look more like a glossary such as Duden or Oxford dictionary, with example sentences and synonyms? You can of course keep the translation in L1, but the accent should be on the definition of the word in L2. Also synonymy can be such a tricky thing! E.g. dear and expensive…

In my opinion synonymy should be addressed.

I stand corrected, but in this way Lexicum will also attract more advanced individuals, who use the language every day, they are continuously enriching their vocabulary, and maybe the app could be a solution for them too.

Happy empowerment :),
HT

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon